Monday, February 4, 2008

Mission Statement

Hello, I’m Tyler Gilbert. On March 1st I’ll have just recently turned 21 and will begin my epic journey through 21 countries in Europe and parts of the Middle East for 3 months. Throughout my travels I’ll be keeping a daily blog, recording the things I see, the people I meet, and most importantly…the music I experience.

I’m a music student, and aspiring film composer. Ultimately the goal of this adventure is to experience the musical traditions and cultural nuances of the 21 countries I travel to. The other goal, which is perhaps equally important, is just to prove to myself that I can do it. My life history has been all but dominated by the fear of breaching my physical capacity, and by jumping from hospital to hospital. I was born with a heart condition known as Epstein’s Anomaly. In the last 5 years I’ve had 4 heart surgeries, and 6 heart catheterizations. I missed half of both my junior and senior years of high school enduring test after endless test only to find more complications. In 2004 the Make-A-Wish Foundation found me and helped to give me the inspiration to survive. In 2007 my great Aunt passed away. As an amazing gesture she created the Tyler Gilbert Foundation. This foundation will work in partnership with the Make-A-Wish foundation so that every year the wishes of several other kids like me can be funded. This journey is a proclamation that the hand God dealt me will not limit my dreams. My potential will no longer be measured by the function of my heart, but that my heart is greater than what doctors can see in tissue and blood. I’m as healthy as I’ve ever been, and I feel that now is the time to secure one more check on my bucket list. However, I can’t do this on my own.

Please sponsor me whether it's a simple donation, buying me a meal, or setting me up with lodging for a night while I’m traveling from place to place. I welcome any help I can find, and I’m very grateful for your support.

Sincerely and Gratefully,

Tyler Gilbert

1 comment:

Katie Jane said...

We all love you and are cheering for you each step of the way!!!

-Katherine and the whole Simpson/Lovullo/Pozzi clan :)