Sunday, April 20, 2008

Budapest

I slept in this morning till a comfortable hour, and then I sauntered out into the lounge. There was no hot water, as is what happens from time to time in a hostel, so showering was not in the cards. Instead I took a bath in deodorant (European Style), and trusted that last night's shower would suffice. I hooked up my camera to the computer to try to get some more pictures online now that my battery was fully charged. However, just the same, I only got about 40 percent through before this battery finally went out. With my camera once again charging, I went out to explore the city and see if I could hunt down something cheap to eat.

I found an awesome place near a huge, beautiful church which sold something resembling a shwarma for 500 forin (Hungarian dollars), which is amazing considering what I mentioned earlier with the average dinner costing 2000 forin. It wasn't exactly like a middle eastern swarma, but it was really good. I walked over to the church, and ate sitting in the shade under a park bench in the courtyard. The day was absolutely beautiful. I was excited, as I always am, to see the sun and it made walking through the city quite an enjoyable experience. As I walked, I walked by some really cool antique shops, but none of them were open because its Sunday. So tomorrow I've gotta go looking through some of them because there seemed to be some really awesome stuff in some of them. Back at my hostel Emily had showed me an old Soviet military beret, and a metal with Lenin's face on it that she bought at one of these cool antique shops. I got myself lost in the city, which is really the best way to find cool stuff, and ended up over at the bridges near the Danube River. I learned something I didn't know before. Apparently a long time ago, Budapest was 2 different cities. On the west side of the Danube was the city Buda, and then on the right side was Pest. Then when they built the bridge, they combined the two cities to make Budapest. They still refer to each side as the Buda side or Pest side.

I walked by a poster set up in the square which advertised Mozart's Requiem playing tonight at St. Stephen's Basilica. I thought that might be a pretty fun thing to do tonight, so I walked over to St. Stephen's Basilica and bought a cheap ticket, then I walked back to the hostel and watched The Gods Must Be Crazy in the lounge while trying to upload more photos. Later in the afternoon I made my way back to the Basilica a little early to make sure I got a good seat, which I did, and I got to sit in the amazingly stunning St. Stephen's Basilica (which still houses St. Stephen's mummified right hand) and listen to Mozart's Requiem. The performance was perfect. I've never heard Mozart's Requiem sound like that. I'm not usually a huge fan on Mozart, but hearing it played live in a huge Basilica in Budapest was a whole new experience. You could feel the reverberations of the choir and orchestra coming off the walls. During the climax of Lachrymose Sequenzia I felt my arms tense up. My whole body seemed filled with the music.

Afterwards, on my way back I found a club that was swarming with people my age, so I walked in and bought a drink. After last night I figured I needed to work on my woman mingling skills, so I tried working the room a little. I met some fun people, and actually had a really good time. I think I'm gonna stay here one extra night mostly because I really love the hostel I'm in, and I'd love to take one more day to see the city. I met some new roommates who just arrived today from America who are awesome. I can't remember the girl's name, but she's from San Francisco, and then Frank is from Scranton Pennsylvania. We made fun of him because he's from where the show The Office takes place. I don't know what it is about all these people in this hostel who come from places which have their own shows.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

3 comments:

Cheri said...

Mozart, mingling and merriment, sounds like a fun time in Budapest. The food is much like Romanian food so it should be good. Sounds like the Epic Journey is progressing quite nicely. Have fun in those antique shops. The girls and I had fun poking around some in Hong Kong. Even if you don't find anything you have to have, you may come away with some great stories. By the way, I'm sure your pick up lines are fine, they just get lost in the translation. Love you.

Jess said...

Ah the science of woman mingling...as woman, your cousin who wishes you sucess in this and the frequent victim of shameless and AWFUL (and might I add unsucessful?) pick-up anti-skills I leave you with this advice: Make eye contact and smile, being genuine is the sexiest and most attractive thing to a chick, in my opinion anyway. Pick up lines are generally crappy AND unsucessful but on second thought perhaps hungarian woman dig them...you never know. Anyways, there are my small kernels of woman hunting knowlage...heed them or not I wish you luck!Have fun with antiquing and try to learn at least one pick up line in hungarian just to use on the chicks back home...haha...maybe better luck in a different language? I love you!

Wil said...

Dude, we are totally singing Mozart's Requiem in my classical choir right now. I totally know what you are talking about the Lacrimosa song. It is amazing. The whole piece is amazing. Have fun with those girls. Don't do anything I wouldn't do (and thats not a lot). Ha. Well have fun dude and I am praying for you. And just think, after you get back from your trip and are exhausted, you get to spend energy at my wedding! YAY!
Just Kiddin'

Love ya bro
Be Safe