Monday, May 12, 2008

Barcelona, Spain 5/11/08

In the morning, the first thing I did was try to find the famous Barcelona Coast. When I found the ocean, I followed the water down one direction, looking for the beach. I walked for a while and found no beach, although I did pass a lot of cool architecture and giant sculptures the size of tall buildings. When I got to the industrial port area, I decided I was heading the wrong way and turned back around the way I came. Going the other direction, I passed through a smaller harbor area with beautiful boats, and tall replicas of spanish galleons. I bought a chocolate fudge covered waffle from a waffle stand, and ate it sitting on the docks. People were all over walking, shopping, and riding bikes down the boardwalk. The sun shone through cracks in the gloom to reveal a bright blue sky behind thick grey clouds. As I began to see the beautiful beach, the wind picked up substantially, blowing little dust devils in the sand. Because of the high wind, and last night's rain, the waves were choppy and the tides were strong. No swimmers were allowed in the water, but surfers were out in large numbers. Wind surfers were having a field day with the high gusts, and choppy surf. They could ride all day, zig-zagging through surfers and catching air on waves like they were ramps.

I noticed bunch of lounge chairs stacked up all down the beach. Many of them were all set up, dotting the sand, completely vacant. I waited to see someone else come and sit on one to give me confirmation that it was ok, and when someone finally did, I found one for myself, and stretched out on it, watching the surfers and the waves. I just about nearly fell asleep, when a beach attendant came over collecting tickets to use the beach chairs. Apparently you have to pay to use these chairs, so I got up and kept walking. I walked down the boardwalk, stopping periodically to admire the ocean. Every so often it'd start drizzling again, but it wouldn't last long and the sun would be out shining again.

At the end of the boardwalk, I wandered up through a small park adorned with massive modern art sculptures, similar to the Art Garden I saw in Israel, although more functional. One blue pyramid sculpture doubled as a slide for a couple spanish 4 year olds. A spiral-shaped garden became a place for hide and go seek.

As I began to worry that I'd strayed out too far into the local area, where there wasn't a lot more than apartments on a grid line, and local grocery stores, I started to pull myself back toward the center. As I walked inward, back toward the larger buildings and hotels, I suddenly discovered a giant arch similar to the Arch of Constantine in Rome, except this arch was a fiery red color. On it was an inscription I couldn't read (as is the trend with most foreign relics), and behind it, a walking road stretched on to seemingly no end. I stood and marveled at it for a moment, and then crossed under it following the road on down to nowhere. The road did eventually end, and then started again across the street heading into another giant park. I didn't enter into the park, however, instead I followed the street back into the center. I continued on out the other side, ending up in a huge square where again, more children played, and more street performers enticed flocks of babbling tourists. Off to one side, a stage was set up for a group of young girls with all different types of drums, hammering out beats and teasing the crowd by starting out simple and gradually getting more and more complex until the sound was like orchestrated noise.

I looked to my left, and saw a street at least 3 times as wide as any other, liked with palm trees like Hollywood Blvrd, and masses of people came like waves on the beach. You couldn't see the ground, there were so many people. This was the main street of Barcelona, Rambla Street. I started down it, but found myself lost in churning seas of people, and worried for the contents of my pockets. I know this is an absolute feeding zone for pickpockets. There's probably thousands of them that make a comfortable living just walking up and down this street all day. I turned off into the next available alleyway, where there were fewer people, and could look after myself a little better.

I sauntered out to the docks again, and this time walked up over to a small peninsula where I saw several others going. In the center of it was a huge Imax theater, and a replica of an early submarine. Another boardwalk took me around the other side of the docks, leading to what seemed to be some kind of a shopping mall floating there on the edge of the peninsula. On the way leading up to it was a wooden deck lined with really artsy looking lamp posts, and along the center local artists set up a gallery of their works for people to buy. I browsed through the local art, stopping to stare at some I found which were pretty cool. Sometimes the local art found in the markets and docks is better than the professional art found in expensive galleries. Walking along near the boats, I called my mom to wish her a happy mothers day.

On the way back over the bridge to the peninsula, there was a group of 4 or 5 dogs chasing a remote controlled car on a grassy field in front of me. The dogs were barking like mad, running after this little machine unable to figure out what the heck it was. Hearing the noise the dogs were making at this thing, people began to crowd around and chuckle as some took pictures of this amazingly entertaining situation. I took a couple pictures myself, and laughed as the poor bewildered dogs frustratedly took on the little RC car. In the end, the car ran low on batteries, and the dogs took it as a sure victory. They gloated, proudly panting as they trotted back to their owners.

I gathered some groceries from a nearby market, hoping to illuminate having to buy a couple meals later on. I also picked up something cheap for dinner, and splurged on an ice cream cone which was calling to me. I finally got in contact with that girl who I'd met in Italy on the train back from Pompeii. She was supposed to meet me here in Barcelona, but she and her friends decided to stay in Paris through the end of the month. It wasn't great news, but it was ok. I'll still get to meet up with her in Paris later on. I also, thankfully got in contact with a friend of Jan Francis', Liz, whom I was hoping I might stay with for a couple days while I'm here. She said I'm welcome to stay with her. I told her I'm paid in my hotel through tonight, but tomorrow night I'd love a bed to sleep in. She said that'd be great, and we planned for me to switch over my stuff to her place tomorrow night.

That night, I sat in my hotel room in my underwear, eating pringles I bought from the store, and watched The Daily Show (which remarkably was on CNN). It was wonderful. I called my brother in law, Paul, and wished him a happy birthday, and then debated about going out to find a club to hang out in. But honestly, I didn't really want to go out to a club at the moment. I didn't really have the energy to go make new friends right now. I didn't have the cash to burn for entrance fees and drinks, and I kinda felt like I'd done my whole clubbing thing in Prague. That's not to say I won't do it anymore, but I'm not gunna pressure myself into doing it because I'm in Barcelona. I already did it in Prague. I was happy and content sitting in my hotel for a bit, eating my American chips, and watching my American television. That won't always be the case, but for now it was certainly satisfying.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

3 comments:

Katie Jane said...

Sorry if I kinda blew your ear drum out today when you called... I haven't talked to you in over a month, I had every right to get excited!! I've heard so many great things about Barcelona, make sure there are lots of pictures.

Love you!!
Katherine

Gabriel said...

You'll love Liz. She is so great. And Xavi too. He is an amazing cook. You'll be really lucky if you get to eat one of his meals. Say hello to them for me please.

Definitely see La Sagrada Familia and Parc Guell.

Unknown said...

Oh Tyler... I am loving your blog! I was telling Katherine the other day that I love how descriptive you are- I feel like I can see it! I am so happy that you are enjoying Europe (a little jealous maybe, but happy for you!) and can't wait for you to come home so I can actually hear all about it! You really are having quite the adventure...
Love you to pieces and miss you!
Sarah Downs

PS- I don't have your email... But you can email me at sarahjayne1@gmail.com if you ever have time. Miss you, sugar!