Sunday, March 9, 2008

Another Day in Beautiful Edinburgh

This morning I got up at 8:30 and took a long hot shower. I didn't need to use any of my soaps or my towel because it was all included in the room! I even got to use shampoo instead of just soap! With much difficulty I managed to roll Ryan out of bed and we headed down to our complimentary breakfast. This breakfast was of course the best one I've had here so far. We got a huge buffet of fresh fruit, cruscants and jam, REAL scrambles eggs, REAL bacon (not even the stuff we have back home, but like actual slices of ham), cereal, freshly squeezed orange juice, and I had some tea. That was the scottish quizene I was looking for!

After breakfast we checked out of the hotel, and I checked back in to the hostel I'd stayed in on friday night (they had room now that the rugby game was over, Scotland won by the way!). After dropping off our stuff in the lockers, we walked up to Edinburgh Castle, and walked to the top and into the Scotland War Museum, War Memorial, and where they kept the Scottish Crown Jewels. After we left Edinburgh Castle I remembered that my dentist gave me a riddle to solve while I was in Edinburgh. He wanted me to find the Royal Tatoo at the Firth and Fourth. I had no idea what that meant, and the only clue we could find in Edinburgh Castle was an old sign that had a bunch of places listed according to how to aim the forward batteries, and one spot pointing to the ocean said "Firth and Fourth". I asked the bartender at the hostel and she had no idea what that meant. There aren't any streets in Edinburgh called "Firth" or "Fourth" which is what I thought it would be to begin with, and I would go out to where the sign was pointing to, but to get to the ocean you have to walk for miles in a direction where there's really nothing worthwhile, so niether of us really wanted to do that. So I still don't know what that means, but I'll keep looking and asking around.

After the Edinburgh Castle experience we were going to go to the bus station and catch a ride to Stirling, but we arrived to find that no buses were going to Stirling today because it was Sunday, and I guess no one goes to Stirling on Sunday. So most of the day we took it easy, which was really nice. We walked up and down the street, and I found some new gloves and that hat you see in the pictures of Edinburgh Castle ( I actually bought that before we went to Edinbugh Castle obviously) at a cool little shop up the street from the hostel. Later, we hung out at a pub and drank a bit, I had some good Scottish Whiskey. Then at 5:30 he caught his train home. It was good to see him, it made me forget how far from home I am.

Tomorrow I'm planning to go to Stirling in the morning, and then catch a train to London in the late afternoon. But for now, I'm just going to find some food, and enjoy the rest of the night.

2 comments:

JamieAnn said...

Tyler!! Long time no comment from me babe! I was on my own adventures in Las Vegas this weekend (oh the Rapture) and I was thinkin about you a whole lot when I was there thinking, "Tyler would really like this." I miss ya' man. I'm glad you're having such a great time...I love your new hat...how are things going on with your fiddle there??? I hope you're staying warm. If you ever get the chance (which I'm sure you don't have many) e-mail me sometime so we can chat and I can fill you in on details. SingingSinger@cox.net is my e-mail...I love you, miss you, you know the routine ;o) your bud, Jamie

Cheri said...

Ty, Wally would have loved this! Cool hat by the way.
We love ya.