Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Last night in Belfast

This morning I got up for no apparent reason at sunrise and was ready and out the door at 7am. I walked upwards of the city and saw St. Anne's Cathedral, St. Peter's Cathedral, and The Church of St. Patrick. I walked inside the church of St. Patrick and prayed for a while at the alter. When I left it was still around 8:30 and prettymuch nothing's open till 10. The people in Belfast like to get up late. I walked for miles around the whole city, every once in a while jumping into a coffee house or bar to get out of the cold. It was freezing this morning, but I think I'm starting to figure out the cold a little bit. What you have to do is just forget about your face, let that just freeze until you can't feel it anymore and just focus on the core of your body, hands and head. I don't find that I'm really that afraid walking around the city by myself even at night because I started to discover that I look a lot scarier that mostly everyone else that might hurt me. I'm unshaven, bundled up with my hands in my pockets, I've got my black beanie covering most of my face, and barely (if at all) showered. People seem to be more afraid that I might rob them then the other way around.

Well as soon as it opened, I walked into this cool little music shop just down the road from my hostel, and I found a fiddle there and bought it. So now I have with me a fiddle from Ireland. I talked to the owner of the store a bit before I bought it, and haggled my way into getting him to throw in a tuner for free. He also showed me a bit of how to tune it and the mechanics of it. And later when I was trying to tune it I broke a string, and he replaced the string and put the new one on free of charge. They were all really nice people there. One of my room mates here is a man from Turkey. I can't for the life of me even begin to spell his name, but he says i pronounce it quite well for an english speaking person. It's pronounced something like Uultgoo. It seems to me like really more of a sound than a name, but I think that's pretty cool. But anyway, he seems to be like this master traveler, and great at finding things for really cheap, so she was teaching me what to look for and how not to spend money. Everything I spend money on now he asks how much I payed, and how next time to get it for less, which is great, but sometimes a little frustrating. Tomorrow I'm going to get on a ferry to Glasgow, Scotland and stay in a youth hostel there for the night. So we'll see if the internet situation a is better there. I'll talk to you all later. Keep writing comments, I AM getting them!

7 comments:

Cheri said...

Ty, If you run short on cash you can always fiddle for your dinner. Especially if you have not showered, they will think you really need the cash! Sounds like the sdventure is on. Have fun! love ya

Amy Reams said...

Horray for your fiddle! That's neat about the music store, I love finding places like that. Have you started slurring your speech yet because of your freezing face? What a fun traveler you are! I love your blog entries!!
Love you!!

Mom said...

I'm so happy that you found your fiddle! Maybe you should shower so that people don't think you could be dangerous to them. Are you meeting Ryan? I talked to Janet and I think that Ryan wants to meet you in Scotland this weekend. Hey, don't forget to go the Sterling Castle. You may have to go on a tour bus or something because as I remember it's out in the middle of nowhere.
Love you! Mom

Joan said...

Hi Tyler! Gla to hear all about your trip so far--such excitement! Phil and I are so envious of your Ireland adventure...we want to go there. Scotland is great, too. We were there just last April--it does get warmer (not much)! and the lambs are so cute all over the hillsides.
My rule--take a shower when you can!
You're in our thoughts and prayers,
Joan Tilley

GrandmaJan said...

Well Tyler... You may have the solution to travelling safely in Europe..just look scarier than everyone else. Too funny!!

Love you,

Grandma Jan and Grandpa Don

Jordan Gash said...

Dude...I like the whole "I'm going to rob you and make your house smell bad too" look that you are describing. I think I should start dressing like that. Anyways, I miss you man! Hey, by the way, if you get a chance, e-mail me (JJGash@gmail.com) just so that I can have the e-mail address that i should send things to, cuz i got some info for you. Love ya bro!

Grace said...

Hey Tyler

Reading your blog daily. Sounds like an incredible trip already. Only about 55 plus more days of adventure. I can't wait to read about them.

So you are now Mr. Fiddler on the Roof.... If I were a rich man... la da dee da la.... Have a fun with the fiddle.

Hey if not taking daily showers is keeping you safe. What's wrong with a little Pepe le Pew. You'll fit right in in Paris.

Take care

Aunt Grace