Thursday, March 20, 2008

Exodus

This morning I got to sleep in a bit, because I wasn't being picked up until 10:30am. We were going to see the Cairo Museum, and it doesn't open till 10. I took a cold shower, because evidently the hot water was all gone, and rushed out to meet my driver Wyheed and Hussein in the lobby. We picked up our guide (Tarek is his name) and drove over to the Museum which was already packed with people. For several hours I walked through the museum while Tarek told me what I was looking at, and the story behind it. Egyptology is such an interesting science, there is so much to know, and knowing about the mythology and history enables you to see things completely defferently than how it looks without knowing. We looked at a statue of Kiefrin, The pharoh who built the Second Pyramid (My favorite one) and it was a statue of him sitting in a throne with a falcon seated on top. At first glance its a nice statue, but it actually a family portrait. The falcon represents Horrace, who was said to be Kiefrin's father, and the thrown is decorated with the symbols of Horrace's wife (I can't remember her name). Kiefrin himself is seen looking outward and a little ways up, as if addressing a huge crowd of people. So the statue shows Kiefrin supported by his father and mother as he addresses his nation. It's stuff like that that makes this country so interesting.

After the museum, we got some lunch, and then went to see the part of Cairo where the oldest christian church, Jewish Temple, and Islamic Mosque lay, all within walking distance from eachother. The church there was so incredable! In the underground tombs below was where Mary and Joseph fled with Jesus to Egypt when Harrod was looking for them. I got to see the place where they hid, the first home Jesus ever knew. The celing of the church was originally made from several of the boards from Noah's Ark, but was redone years ago, however they still have the original boards in storage.

After that, we traveled to The Citadel, where I got to walk inside the Mosque of the Citadel, the whole place is considered holy ground, so you have to remove your shoes before entering. Inside the dome was like nothing I'd ever seen before. It was covered with gold, and alabaster, and the pillars were soft white marble. It was painted with the seals of devoute followers and kings, and elloborate designs. Just outside of the Mosque I got to see the palace of Saladin, who lead the muslims against the crusaders in hopes of recapturing Jarusalem. From the courtyard, there's a breathtaking view of all of Cairo, and to one side you can see the City of the Dead. This whole land is quite magnificent, and is life changing to behold.

When Wyheed, and Hussein dropped me off at my hotel, Hussein ran into the flourist accross the street and came back with a flower saying, "a gift for a very good man." I thanked him, and said goodbye to Hussein, but to Wyheed I just told him I'd see him later. While we were driving earlier Wyheed offered to drive me to the Red Sea to catch a ferry into Jordan, where I would take a bus into Petra. It takes about 8 hours to get to the Red Sea by car, so we decided we should leave as early as possible so I could get to Petra and up to Jerualem by Friday. So Wyheed is going to pick me up from the hotel at 4:00am and we'll start the long trek accross the Sahara to the Red Sea.

I truly believe that God is leading me on this trip, and telling me where to go and how I should get there. These people always seem to show up out of nowhere and tell me where to go, and here I am being led on an exodus out of Egypt. I'm taking the same route through the desert, across the Red Sea and up to Jerusalem. It's perfectly theatrical, exactly the way God knew I would take the bait. The only hitch is that I have to do it all in one day. I have one day to complete the journey the Hebrews took 40 years to finish. Please pray for me. I have faith that God with continue to provide for me. "I will not forget you! See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands."-Isaiah 49: 15-16. Even in the desert, God will not forget me.

There will probably be no blog tomorrow. I most likely won't get service in the Sahara Desert. But when I talk to you all again I will be on the spot where Jesus was crusified, praying and giving thanks for delivering me from the desert, on good Friday.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT

3 comments:

Zack said...

Tyler,

I just finished reading all your blogs so now I am up to speed! Your writing and blogs are like a TV show rented on DVD that you can't stop watching. WOW what an incredible journey. I am so glad you are getting to see the world and allow God to open you eyes to see things from a whole new perspective. I can't wait to hear what happens next.

L8,


Zack

Uncle Dan said...

What a journey! What else can be said?

It certainly seems God has your back. We will continue to pray for your safety and well being.

I am particularly impressed that these recent blogs seem to be coming from your blackberry. You must ave some seriously black thumbs.

Paul said...

Tyler,
We haven't met but your Dad and I have become friends over the last several months and he told me about your journey. It's so cool! Hope you don't mind but I pointed my daughters to your blog. They're both in college and want to travel around Europe as well.
Maybe we'll get the chance to meet personally soon.
Safe travel,
Paul